As one of the world's leading community-service organizations, Kiwanis' strength is that it is both international and local. Collectively, clubs have responded to global problems while continuing to address local needs.
· Month of the Young Adolescent An annual national collaborative effort of education, health, and youth-oriented organizations, including Kiwanis International's Builders Club. Initiated by the National Middle School Association, this month brings together a wide range of organizations to focus on the needs of this important age range, ages 10-15. For info: National Middle School Foundation; 800-528-NMSA (6672).
· Adopt a Shelter Dog Month To promote the adoption of dogs from local shelters, the ASPCA sponsors this important observance. For info: ASPCA Public Affairs Dept., 424 E. 92nd St., New York, New York 10128; phone, 212-876-7700.
· Diversity Awareness Month Celebrating, promoting, and appreciating the diversity of our society. For info: Carole Copeland Thomas, C. Thomas & Associates, 400 W. Cummings Park, PMB 1725-154, Woburn, Massachusetts 01801; phone, 800-801-6599; e-mail.
· National Breast Cancer Awareness Month For info, call the National Breast Cancer Awareness Month Program toll-free at 877-880.NBCAM.
· National Cookie Month For info, call Cookies for You, 117 S. Main Street, Minot, South Dakota 58701; phone, 701-839-4975 or 800-814-5334.
· National Depression Education and Awareness Month A nonprofit campaign to educate patients, the elderly, and professionals about depression disorders. Kit of materials available for $15. For info: Frederick Mayer, president, Pharmacists Planning Service Inc., 101 Lucas Valley Road, #210, San Rafael, California 94903; phone: 415-479-8628; e-mail.
· National Roller Skating Month A month-long celebration recognizing the health benefits and recreational enjoyment of this long-loved pastime. For info: Roller Skating Association, 6905 Corporate Drive, Indianapolis, Indiana 46278; phone, 317-347-2636; e-mail.
· Universal Children's Week To disseminate throughout the world info on the needs of children and to distribute copies of the Declaration of the Rights of the Child. For info, send $4 to cover printing expense, handling, and postage. For info: Stanley Drake, president, International Society of Friendship and Good Will, 8592 Roswell Road, Suite 434, Atlanta, Georgia 30350-1870.
· United Nations: World Food Day Annual observance to heighten public awareness of the world food problem and to strengthen solidarity in the struggle against hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. For information: United Nations, Department of Public Information, New York, New York 10117; or Patricia Young, US National Committee for World Food Day, 2175 K Street NW, Washington DC, 20437. Phone, 202-653-2404.
For Email contacts on the above click the following: http://classic.kiwanis.org/pr/inciter/
Back to Richmond Kiwanis Introduction Page